The Office of Diversity strives to ensure greater opportunities for the inclusion of diverse attorneys in the legal profession. This is a fundamental element of the Association's Mission.
Objectives for the Office of Diversity include partnering with hiring partners and managers at Philadelphia law firms, legal departments and public agencies to develop educational and community outreach activities. In doing so, the Office guides, supports and leads the diversity and inclusion efforts for the entire Association, including the Board of Governors, the Association's Sections and Divisions, Committees, tasks forces and external efforts. The Office also serves as a resource for local Affinity Bar Associations/Organizations, attorneys, law firms and law students who seek support advancing diversity and inclusion.
The Director of the Office of Diversity is tasked with providing the expertise, vision, knowledge and leadership in advancing the goals of the Association and of the Office of Diversity, and works strategically at all levels to encourage diversity and inclusion within the greater Philadelphia legal community.
The Director of Diversity has a wide-range of responsibilities, including:
- Developing, implementing and integrating short-term and long-term diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives.
- Working with the Association's leadership to develop a comprehensive strategic diversity and inclusion plan.
- Collecting and analyzing data, ensuring accuracy, and developing metrics, monitoring and reporting systems to benchmark Association, public sector and private sector legal organizations' diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Serving as a resource for the Association's members on diversity and inclusion issues, including development of best practices.
- Identifying areas of opportunity for the Association to better diversify the Association's Sections, Committees and Leadership.
- Identifying and developing innovative programs that link the Association with Affinity Bar Associations/Organizations to: better facilitate the exchange of information; develop/promote women, attorneys of color and LGBT attorneys to leadership positions within the Association; and create an exchange of solutions.
- Collaborating with public and private sector legal organizations to drive diversity and inclusion efforts and develop strategies for the recruitment and retention of diverse attorneys.
- Developing diversity and inclusion communications, messages and marketing tools.
- Developing and maintaining mechanisms to disseminate successful diversity and inclusion efforts delivered via CLEs, working sessions, and targeted diversity roundtables with diversity professionals, diversity chairs and managing partners.
- Planning and organizing an annual diversity and inclusion event sponsored by the Association.
- Creating, planning and implementing programming of interest to a diverse segment of the Philadelphia legal community.
- Assisting in developing financial support for the Office of Diversity.
- Serving as a resource to the Association's elected leadership on diversity and inclusion issues.
- Addressing other issues related to diversity and inclusion as they may arise.
For questions regarding the Association's Statement of Diversity Principles or the Association's efforts and commitment toward diversity and inclusion, please contact Naomi K. McLaurin, Esq., Director of Diversity, at or email@example.com. Nikki Johnson-Houston, Esq. serves as the Diversity Chair at the Cabinet level.
Handbook updated as of November 27, 2013